Employees and contractors at our Brae platform add profitable production from the North Sea. Other core regions include the U.S., Canada and Equatorial Guinea.
Marathon assets, such as those in the Bakken and Eagle Ford plays, are indicative of our steady growth and the exciting opportunities that are yet to come.
At Marathon, we realize the importance of being transparent and regularly sharing company and industry information with our customers, employees and stakeholders.
Pablo Ondo Zetmayer, a gas plant operator in Equatorial Guinea, is a prime example of Marathon’s globally diverse workforce, which enjoys worldwide experiences and world-class opportunities.
With a focus on safety, innovation and environmental stewardship, Marathon is among the world’s leading independent exploration and production companies.
Our spirit of innovation and commitment to delivering superior products that address even the most complex challenges drives Marathon’s legacy of technical excellence.
Marathon is actively involved in the exploration and production of oil and gas in Norway. The Company received its first operatorship on the Norwegian Continental Shelf in 2002 and in 2008 production commenced from Marathon's first operated development in Norway. The Norway office is located at Fjordpiren in Jåttåvågen outside of Stavanger.
The Alvheim area comprises the Kneler, Boa, Kameleon and East Kameleon reservoirs. Alvheim was developed using a purpose-designed floating production storage and offloading (”FPSO”) vessel. The subsea infrastructure comprises five drill centres and associated flow lines. The development provides for the transport of oil by shuttle tanker and transportation of natural gas to the U.K. Scottish Area Gas Evacuation (SAGE) system. First production began in June 2008. Improved reliability, combined with optimization work, increased the production capacity of the FPSO to about 150 mbopd, up from the original design of 120 mbopd. MONAS holds a 65 percent working interest in, and serves as operator of, the Alvheim area. MONAS’ partners in Alvheim are ConocoPhillips Skandinavia AS, with a 20 percent working interest, and Lundin Norway AS, with the remaining 15 percent.
MONAS holds a 46.9 percent working interest in the Vilje Field (PL036D) in the North Sea, with partners Statoil (operator) holding a 28.9 percent working interest and Total E&P Norge AS with a 24.2 percent working interest. Vilje has two subsea templates and two production wells, is tied back in a 12-mile pipeline to the Alvheim FPSO.
The Volund Field is approximately 5 miles south of the Alvheim FPSO. MONAS holds a 65 percent working interest in Volund and serves as operator, while Lundin Norway AS holds the remaining 35 percent working interest. Currently there are four production wells and one water injection well. Volund started production in September 2009 and was utilized as a swing producer when capacity at Alvheim FPSO allowed it. In April 2010 the field was opened for regular production..
The Bøyla development consists of 2 producing wells and 1 water injection well tied pack to the Alvheim FPSO. The Plan for Development & Operation (PDO) was approved by the Norwegian Ministry for Petroleum & Energy (MPE) in October 2012 and an EPIC contract awarded for the subsea facilities. Detail engineering is ongoing with prefabrication of structures and pipelines scheduled to commence early 2013. Installation of the subsea facilities is planned for 2014 with production start-up planned for the fourth quarter 2014.